Sunday, April 30, 2006

Sunday Scribblings: Why I live where I live

Here is an offering (my first) for "Sunday Scribblings."
Why I Live Where I Live


Far enough from freeways, cars and city lights,
Close enough to family, beach and friendly town;
A haven close enough and far enough from all I need and don't.

Giant Douglas Firs from wild winds protect.
Acres of trees and vast rosy sky
Feed my hungry eyes at days end.

The Coyotes' rallying cry, the barred owl's midnight call,
Whistle of train, horn of sea vessel,
Lull me to sleep and nourish my dreams.

Awakened by birdsong, the world comes alive.
The industrious woodpecker's drilling, the squirrel's busy rustling,
Call me to action.

Seasons come, seasons go,
Each bringing its own particular delight;
Familiar cycles bringing hope.

Happy to just be, in this place,
Reveling in each morning's light, basking in each evening's glow.
At home.

10 Comments:

At April 30, 2006 6:57 AM, Blogger andrea said...

Oh this is so lovely Nan. I too just picked up my yearly hanging baskets. Your words were magical.
Great job on this weeks prompt!
a.

 
At April 30, 2006 7:13 AM, Blogger AnnieElf said...

"Far enough from freeways, cars and city lights,Close enough to family, beach and friendly town; A haven close enough and far enough from all I need and don't."

My husband and I were discussing this EXACT thing a few nights ago. These lines are like a compass pointing me straight up NORTH.

 
At April 30, 2006 8:56 AM, Blogger Nan said...

Andrea, thanks! I have not hung the baskets yet this year... I cheated and used a photo from last year :-) Thanks for the "magical words" comment.

Anieelf...Yes, true north! Thank you so much for visiting, understanding and commenting.

 
At April 30, 2006 12:17 PM, Blogger paris parfait said...

Such a lovely photo and lovely words to match! Sounds like you've found your paradise.

 
At April 30, 2006 1:22 PM, Blogger Nan said...

Paris...thank you!

 
At April 30, 2006 8:52 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Sounds perfect!

 
At April 30, 2006 9:24 PM, Blogger Nan said...

Thanks Jennifer. Not perfect, but I'm very content :-)

 
At May 04, 2006 2:13 AM, Blogger Caroline said...

Nan - I'm so glad you scribbled this - its wonderful. I love how pink your house is too.

I love the way you organise the poem too - the abstract becoming visible, then you can hear it before going back to the abstract. Very neat.

 
At May 04, 2006 5:40 AM, Blogger Nan said...

Thanks, Caroline, for your thoughtful comments. I didn't notice the house looked pink. It's actually not pink at all, but a very neutral beige.

 
At June 03, 2006 9:59 PM, Blogger kj said...

hello nan, i am new in discovering these wonderful writing blogs and loved your sunday scribbling about home. i feel the same way about where i live and why. i am so glad to be so grateful for it all.

please feel free to check out my blog from time to time if you'd like. i am an "unfolding" writer and am gleefully finding my way.;..

best wishes, kj

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Hit Counters